Greater Bay Area
Local Staff Contacts
San Francisco, CA 94105
Train with Team In Training (TNT) for a hiking adventure and raise funds for lifesaving cancer research. Whether you're a seasoned hiker or someone who just enjoys a good walk, there is a hike program for your ability and level of fitness.
- Great people.Our coaches, certified in partnership with the American Hiking Association (AHS), provide exceptional training and information on fitness, nutrition, gear and injury prevention and hiking principles like Leave No Trace.
- TNT Hikers also will receive a one-year membership to AHS.
- Amazing destinations. Choices may include hiking trips to Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Rocky Mountain national parks.
- Fundraising support. From your own Web page to our helpful staff and fundraising clinics, your fundraising will be easy and successful.
- A fabulous weekend. Your travel, lodging, guide fees and pre-and post-event activities are all covered for an unforgettable weekend experience.
- A lifesaving cause. For many, the greatest benefit of all is knowing you will be making a difference in the fight against blood cancers.
Upcoming Hike Adventures
Team In Training (TNT) is looking for hikers to join us for exciting hike expeditions.
Please note that participation in a TNT event is subject to the local availability of group training and transportation arrangements. Please consult the TNT staff at your local chapter for additional details.
Tour of Anchorage
Glide into a pair of skis and push off to see some of the most breathtaking sights in Alaska! Held the day after the start of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in Achorage, this point-to-point ski marathon for all abilities offers 25K, 40K and 50K routes.
- 25K, 40K or 50K cross-country ski marathon
- Anchorage, AK
- Sunday, March 8 with 3-night hotel stay March 6-9
- Training for this event kicks off on Nov. 8.
- In January, commit to raising $4,000 or more by Feb. 18
- About the cross-country ski team:
- No prior ski experience needed.
- Owning skis is optional and most participants just rent equipment for around $20/weekend.
- Trail passes and lift tickets are covered by Team In Training
- Through November or when there is no snow in the mountains, participants hike and cross-train throughout the Bay Area. Starting the first Saturday in December, provided that there is snow in the mountains, participants ski at resorts about 3-4 hours from San Francisco including Tahoe Royal Gorge, Tahoe Donner and Bear Valley. Carpooling is encouraged and some assistance in finding carpools will be provided by the mentors and captains.
- For workouts at resorts, most participants come up just for the day, especially at Bear Valley, which is closer and has less traffic than Tahoe. TNT does not provide overnight accommodations during training, but all of our training locations are close to lodging and in past seasons many team members had access to nearby cabins and would offer beds in exchange for a donation. Coaches and mentors help facilitate this.
- The training program is designed and implemented by professional ski coaches and consists of daily workout schedules, team workouts two to three Saturdays per month, clinics and group lessons. Clinics include equipment and clothing selection, hydration and nutrition, waxing and the mechanics of traditional (classic) and skate ski styles. The head coach is also available throughout the week to answer training and fitness-related questions.
- For more information email Jan.Synder@lls.org or call (408) 490-3143